Danube River Cruise Pilgrimage
Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary
*Exclusive Pilgrims Only Cruise - The Entire Ship is for Us
Spiritual Director: Fr. Philip Tah
October 1 – 10, 2022
Munich · Passau · Walhalla · Regensburg · Linz · Salzburg · Maria Plain · Melk · Duernstein · Vienna · Bratislava · Budapest · Esztergom · Szentendre
Your Trip Includes:
- Round-trip airfare
- All airport taxes & fuel surcharges
- 1st Class Hotel & Stateroom on Cruise Ship in double occupancy:
- ~ October 02 - 03 | 1 night: Eurostar Grand Hotel, Munich
- ~ October 03 - 10 | 7 nights: River Cruise Amadeus Star
- Meals on Cruise - Full Board including:
- ~ Riser breakfast buffet, Buffet Breakfast, Lunches Buffet or Table
- ~ Afternoon Coffee or Tea
- ~ Dinner and Breakfast in Munich
- ~ Due to schedule Lunch on October 5 will be on your own
(onboard lunch will be available)
- Wines & Beer with dinners during cruise
- Welcome Dinner on Cruise:
- ~ Cocktails, Captains Gala Dinner, Folklore show
- Sightseeing & Entrance fees as per itinerary
- Port Taxes
- Mass Daily and Catholic Priest throughout
- Luggage handling (1 piece per person)
Other Cruise Inclusions:
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in Suites
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe's famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain's Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
- Tips to Crew, your guide & driver
- Items of a personal nature
- Recommendation: $15 pp per night for the entire crew and $4 pp per night for the Cruise Director on board. Tour escorts during your sightseeing is suggested at $7 per person per day and $5 per person per day for drivers.
On Cruise: Taxes and gratuities
Day 1, Saturday, October 1: Departure
Prepare for your departure to your local airport and your overnight flights to Munich.
Day 2, Sunday, October 2: Arrive Munich
Arrive at Munich International Airport. Meet your local professional tour manager and transfer to your hotel. After check in, you will have the remining of he afternoon on your own. Dinner and overnight.
Day 3, Monday, October 3: Munich – Altotting - Passau
Leave Munich for Altotting, one of Germany’s most celebrated shrines and a city whose purpose is pilgrimage. Upon arrival celebrate Mass at the center of the pilgrimage complex, the Chapel of Mercy. The chapel houses a 13th century statue of the Blessed Virgin to which numerous miraculous cures are credited. While there, you will have the opportunity to visit the Basilica, the Panorama of the Crucifixion and St. Konrad’s Monastery. Continue to Passau and embark Amadeus Star ship which will be your residence for the next 7 nights. This evening you will enjoy Welcome Cocktail and Welcome Dinner on board and met your fellow pilgrims and your priest.
Day 4, Tuesday, October 4: Passau - Walhalla - Regensburg
After breakfast, depart for Walhalla Memorial. This pantheon-like monument on top of a hill commemorates important German sovereigns, scientists and artists. Return to the ship for lunch. After lunch, depart for a visit to the Regensburg Cathedral. We'll see St. Peters Cathedral, one of the most prominent examples of Gothic architecture in Germany. Mass at Alte Kapelle. Return to the ship for dinner and overnight.
Day 5, Wednesday, October 5: Linz: full day excursion to Salzburg and Maria Plain
After breakfast, depart for Salzburg and enjoy a guided tour of the Old Town. View the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Mirabell Gardens and Salzburger Dom. Lunch on your own before departing to the Maria Plain Shrine. Celebrate Mass at Maria Plain Basilica which hosts the miraculous painting of the "Virgin with Child" by an unknown painter. This painting miraculously survived a fire in the Bavarian town of Regen undamaged. Continue on through the lake region of Salzkammergut into Passau and rejoin the ship which will depart to Regensburg. Dinner and overnight. (note: today our full day of touring will not include Lunch. If you should decide to stay on-board, lunch will be available)
Day 6, Thursday, October 6: Melk - Duernstein - Vienna
Today we will visit Melk. Enjoy a guided tour of Melk Abbey. This Baroque style structure is surrounded by a gorgeous town with Renaissance homes and winding streets reminiscent of the Middle Ages. The Abbey is the setting for Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose'. Among the treasures housed here are paintings, sculptures, and decorative art from the 9th to 15th centuries. Celebrate Mass at Melk Abbey and return to the ship. This afternoon you will have option to visit Durnstien on your own. Return to the ship for Dinner and overnight.
Day 7, Friday, October 7: Vienna
After breakfast enjoy a panoramic tour of Vienna's Old Town between the University and Opera House passing major monuments to include Donners' Fountain, Belvedere Palace Gardens, Hofburg Palace, Spanish Horses training place (external visits only), and St. Stephen's Cathedral (exterior view). Celebrate Mass at Votivkirche. Return to the ship for lunch. This afternoon, visit Schonbrunn Palace , the fabulous Baroque summer residence of the Hapsburg Emperors. Here, Marie Antoinette lived as a young girl and the six year old Mozart played for the future Queen inside the Palace. Remainder of the afternoon on your own. Dinner and overnight.
Day 8, Saturday, October 8: Bratislava
After breakfast, depart for a tour of Bratislava. Walking down to the Old Town pass by St. Martin's Cathedral, Michael´s Gate, Academia Istropolitana historical building, Main Square, Primatial (Archbishop in the past) Palace, churches, palaces of famous families, Slovak National Theatre and Bratislava Castle on the hill with a panoramic view on Bratislava (exterior views). Celebrate Mass at St. Martins Church. Return to the ship for lunch. Afterward, depart for the Cerveny Kamen Castle and enjoy a guided tour followed by a wine tasting for you to enjoy before returning to the ship. Dinner and overnight.
Day 9, Sunday, October 9: Budapest - Esztergom - Szentendre - Budapest
Breakfast on-board followed by your departure to Esztergom, a medieval city lying picturesquely on the Danube Bend. We will also visit Szentendre, the charming, ethnic artist colony with its winding lanes, seven aspiring church towers, colorful houses, narrow side streets, genuine Mediterranean ambience and scores of museums, galleries, guest houses and warm restaurants. It is the most frequented tourist destination of the Danube Bend. Return to the ship for lunch. After lunch, depart for a tour of Buda, the upper part of Budapest. Visit the Castle District and see the main attractions of the area: Fisherman's Bastion which takes its name from the guild of fishermen that were responsible for defending this stretch of city walls in the Middle Ages, followed by Matyas Church, a gorgeous Romanesque style church whose Ecclesiastical Art museum houses numerous sacred relics and medieval stone carvings, including replicas of the Hungarian royal crown and coronation jewels. Return to the ship for dinner and a folklore show this evening.
Day 10, Monday, October 10: Disembarkation
Prepare for your disembarkation from the ship and transfer to Budapest airport for your return flights home.